miércoles, 20 de junio de 2012

Somebody That I Used To Know Gotye (With Lyrics)


This song in now one of the most famous songs in the UK and also in Spain. Let's  work with it to review some aspects of the language. Read this and then listen to the song: 

  • lonely -------> solo, solitario. Do you know the difference between alone and lonely? You are alone when you are with nobody else. You can feel lonely when you are with people. 
  • ache ------->  dolor . Do you know how to pronounce this word? Listen to the song!
  • addicted to -------> adicto a. Remember you need the preposition to after addicted. 
  • kinda -------> kind of
  • make sense -------> tener sentido. I'm tired of writing "this doesn't make sense in my students' essays!"
  • Remember that glad is a synonym of happy
  • cut somebody off -------> desentenderse de alguien, aislar a alguien
  • even -------> incluso. This is a very common word in English. English speakers use it a lot. I don't even know his name
  • though  -------> although . It is always at the end of the sentence 
  • stoop low -------> rebajarse, llegar tan bajo
  • used to + infinitive -------> solía. Very common in English to talk about our past lives
  • screw somebody over -------> jugársela a alguien
  • rough -------> hard, difficult


Did you like the song? What do you know about his singer Gotye? What kind of music does he play and sing? Feel free to give your opinion! 

8 comentarios:

  1. I feel very relaxed with this song! Thanks Belén!

    I have a question about your explanation:

    make sense is only "tener sentido" or " hacer que la otra persona recapacite, tenga sentido " too? For example, My sister has a messy life, can you make sense her? (hacer que siente la cabeza)

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi!

    Thank you for your question. You cannot use "make sense" in that way. The correct way to say that would be " My sister has a messy life, she needs to settle down" Settle down means sentar la cabeza. You can also use "reconsider" or "think over something" as " recapacitar sobre algo, reconsiderar algo".

    Make sense is "tener sentido" and you can use it in different ways:

    - This sentence doesn't make sense
    - This made a lot of sense
    - I cannot make sense of this letter

    I hope I helped you!!

    ResponderEliminar
  3. This song is for one of my followers, Rubén M. He loves music and he asked me for a song. I hope you like it!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thanks, teacher, but I can't hear it now because I have no time. I'll see de video later. I'll comment and I'll say my opinion about this song

      Eliminar
  4. Teacher, I've watched the video. It's a good song (a little bit sad, but it's really good). It's not Greenday, but it's very nice. Thanks for post this song.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. I love this song. it's so cute. I like Jazz, Pop well I like more or less all tipe of music. (please correct my posts to improbe)

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. *I like all types of music (remember "y" in type)
      * improVE (not improbe)

      Yeah..I really like this song too. I will be posting more soon!

      Eliminar
  6. I love this song. I think that it's a very good song and the topic is really nice. I love this type of music is so relaxing.

    ResponderEliminar