viernes, 5 de octubre de 2012

WORLD TEACHER'S DAY

Today we celebrate THE WORLD TEACHER'S DAY. It is an important date to remember those teachers who were supportive with us and helped us one day when we were at school. When I remember those days, I cannot but smile when I think of my classmates and my teachers. I had good teachers but I also had VERY GOOD teachers who prepared their classes with interest and motivation and transmitted the passion for their subject to us. 

Being an English teacher now,  I see  the world of education from a different perspective. I can confirm that my job is one of the most difficult but rewarding jobs that exist today (and this is not because we have more holidays than others as most people might think); it is because it involves taking care of young people and making sure that their process of learning is succesful. Every day and at any time, there is a teacher working at home, preparing his/her classes and getting worried about those things that can be improved in class. 

Teaching English is also a challenge for foreign language teachers. Despite our love and passion for the English language, the students' limited contact with the target community makes our task harder. There are many many things that could be improved in our educational system regarding English teaching (number of students, mix-ability classes, lack of time, materials...). However, in my opinion, the worst one is that our students do not have contact with the language outside the classroom and 3 hours a week is not enough to master a language. They need to be linguistically immersed in the daily use of the language. 

Despite these negative aspects, it is still possible to prepare motivating, interesting, innovative and practical classes. The most important thing is that we love what we are doing because if we love it, our students will love it too. 










Happy World Teacher's Day! 

5 comentarios:

  1. Happy World Belén's Day. You are a teacher too.
    Fulgencio.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Happy World teacher's day, Belen!

    ResponderEliminar
    Respuestas
    1. Thank you Rubén! I'll post a song soon so pay attention to the blog!

      Eliminar
    2. OK, I listened to the Beatles' song "yesterday" and I think it's a good song. I'm sure that the next song will be OK too :D

      Eliminar